COM 482: STUDIES IN PERSUASION
DescriptionThis course examines theory and research of persuasion. Topics include message characteristics, credibility, compliance-gaining, decision- making and motivational appeals.
Learning Outcome• define key terms used by social influence researchers and practitioners
• explain major classic and contemporary social influence theories and models
• identify common heuristics, or simple decision rules, that guide the decision making process
• review how various source, receiver, situation, and message characteristics impact the social influence process
• demonstrate how to use and defend against the various social influence techniques discussed in class
• discuss the ethical implications involved in the social influence process