COM 350: LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION
DescriptionAn introductory survey course covering syntactic, semantic and pragmatic aspects of language as they relate to communication. Language learning, sign typologies, psycho-linguistics, and the nature of meaning are selected topic areas. Emphasis is on behavioral, communication approach.
Learning Outcomes• Identify and describe the different properties and qualities of language;
• Understand how language is acquired and learned, and how it changes;
• Explain how language influences cognition, how we use language to perform social actions, and how we adjust our language for others;
• Recognize and explain the social meaning and consequences of different types of language use;
• Analyze, summarize, and synthesize empirical research on language and communication;
• Formulate predictions about the role and use of language in society.